The full-time race-director is appointed by the FIS for competitions of the highest category. The FIS Race Director must possess a TD-license.
The duties of the Race Director include:
- Represents the interests of the International Ski Federation
- Schedules and conducts inspections. Supervises that all aspects of the organiser contract are correctly fulfilled.
- Monitors the proper operation of the event according to the regulations and guidelines of FIS and reports to the resp. Technical Committees
- Responsibilities for the coordination of all persons and parties involved
- Coordination of decisions concerning postponements and replacements of an event after cancellations.
Since 1992 Austrian Walter Hofer is the Race-Director for skijumping of the International Ski Federation FIS.