Introducing the FIS WSC candidates: Oberstdorf
The fourth candidate to host the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 is Oberstdorf, Germany. After hosting the Championships in 1987 and 2005 it is Oberstdorf’s third candidature to get the third FIS Nordic World Ski Championships.
Why is Oberstdorf a candidate to host the 2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships? How many times have you run your bid?
Germany is internationally known for its passion and enthusiasm for winter sports and for the excellent organization of top-class sports events. In fact, Germany can be referred to as one of the hearts of ski sports for many reasons: not only because of its geographical position in the heart of Europe, but also because of its unique tradition of combining cordial hospitality and ski sports. Looking back at the past two decades, Germany has set a high benchmark for winter sports festivals with a record-breaking number of spectators. Mainly the athletes appreciate the combination of a unique festival atmosphere and an excellent organization.
In Germany, winter sports set the rhythm of our hearts. For this reason, Germany keeps on reaching new record numbers of viewers for winter sports events and German companies are the leading sponsors of winter sports.
Our motivation to become the host of the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 can be attributed to our passion for Nordic ski sports. The World Championships shall spark enthusiasm of children and adolescents for snow, support the development of amateur and leisure sports, encourage people to volunteer, show a connection of sports and a healthy lifestyle, and further improve the image of Oberstdorf and the Allgaeu region as a tourist destination.
After hosting the Championships in 1987 and 2005 it is Oberstdorf’s third candidature to get the third FIS Nordic World Ski Championships.
What makes you different from the others?
During the 2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 in Oberstdorf, Germany’s great passion for winter sports and the cordial, traditional hospitality of the Allgaeu region will be lived out in our crowded stadiums during a large festival of Nordic ski sports. The World Ski Championships will provide a unique and magical atmosphere, inspire the athletes, fascinate the whole world and bring Nordic ski sports to new heights.
Germany is a stronghold of winter sports, and the Germans are globally known for their enthusiasm for winter sports. These are the best qualifications to have for making the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 an unforgettable and unique experience. The vision for 2017 can be reduced to the following motto: “The track into the heart!”
What is the core of your bid? What would the Championships at your venue be like and what would people remember in 2027 about them?
The planning is aimed at further strengthening and developing the existing model of sustainability, to make sure that future generations and above all ski sports will benefit. The 2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 in Oberstdorf are the track into the heart
- of the athletes
- of the FIS family and their values
- of the spectators and enthusiastic fans
- of the media representatives from all over the world
- for sustainable use of natural resources
- for our children – tomorrow’s ski talents
- for the future of ski sports.
The 2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 in Oberstdorf establish versatile sustainability and provides versatile and comprehensive benefits for all involved:
- Oberstdorf’s WSC facilities, a good example for a successful use of sports facilities for many decades, get important impulses for further development
- By modernizing and enhancing the existing WSC facilities, optimal training and competition facilities are established in line with the sports development plan of the German Ski Federation, which will strengthen the competitiveness of Oberstdorf and the region for the future
- The region benefits from the development of the infrastructure, increasing its attractiveness for tourists
- Due to the planned environmental and sustainability projects, Oberstdorf will remain “World Champion” in environmental protection
- The World Championships 2017 will set new impulses for sports development as well as for the promotion of young athletes and talents
- All partners of sports will promote ski sports with the long-term target of 2017
The consolidated concept for the World Championships forms the basis for sustainable World Championships and is mainly characterized by:
- the use of the existing sports facilities and infrastructure
- the reasonable extension and modernization of long-lasting multifunctional facilities
- short distances for athletes, officials and all people involved between competition sites, accommodation and all important WSC facilities
- the fast accessibility of the venues by visitors
- an improved existing and efficient traffic infrastructure
- focusing on environmentally friendly – above all energy-saving – means of transport
- highest efficiency of safety and logistics
What are your plans for the final phase of your candidacy before the FIS Congress in Korea?
The next days and weeks will be used to prepare and deliver goods, pack the suitcases and finalise the presentations for the Ski Congress in Kangwonland. We are looking forward to welcome all members of the ski family to our exhibition stand to offer them regional and Bavarian delicacies. Follow the track to Oberstdorf – follow the track into the heart!
W. HOFER - VIDEOBLOG
Season 2012/1308.06.13 08:34